[ ... back to main menu for this book]
Grocersí Company (The), that is,
dealers en gros, were
originally called Pepperers, and were incorporated by a charter given by Edward
III. They are rich in church livings, and possess four free grammar schools
besides exhibitions at the universities. Their present abode, close to
Cheapside, is not remarkable for beauty, but is spacious and comfortable. The
one admirable object in the house is a stained glass window. Portraits of Pitt
and Baron Heath are noteworthy ornaments. The Grocersí plate is remarkable,
more especially two large silver-gilt loving cups, dated respectively 1668 and
1669. The present hall was finished in 1802.
Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879Victorian London - Publications - History - The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896 - Staircase of the Grocers' Hall / Mercers' Hall Prepared for a Livery Meeting
STAIRCASE OF THE GROCERS HALL
Second in standing to the Mercers' alone, the Grocers' Company has played an important part in the history of London. Its Hall, within a stone's throw of the Bank, occupies the site of the ancient Synagogue in Old Jewry and, as may be judged from our picture of the Grand Staircase, it is a building worthy the dignified traditions of the "Pepperers," to give the Company its old name.
MERCERS' HALL PREPARED FOR A LIVERY MEETING.
The Mercers Company, incorporated 1393 stands first of all in civic precedence Its Guild-honse, which was re-built in 1884, is entered from Ironmonger Lane, Cheapside. Our picture shows the handsome wainscoted hall laid out fur a livery meeting. The members of the higher grade of the chief City companies are called liverymen from the distinctive dress which they are entitled to wear.