[ ... back to main menu for this book]
Skinnersí Hall (The) is by no means as pleasant an apartment as the drawing-room, which is lavishly decorated and built entirely of cedar-wood. The hall, which dates from the Fire, was redecorated some five years ago. A portrait of Mr. T. G. Kensett, formerly clerk to the company, painted by Richmond, R.A., is the latest addition to the art collection. The company possesses fifteen university exhibitions and four free schools. Skinnersí Hall was frequently used by the Lord Mayor as a residence before the present Mansion House was built. When a master of the company is to be elected, the ex-holder of the office tries on a cap, which he declares to be a misfit. The cap is then passed from one to another till it reaches the person for whom it has been made, who declares it to be a fit, and so becomes master. The trade of skinner has decreased in importance latterly.
Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879