EXCISE OFFICE (THE), OLD BROAD STREET. Built by the elder Dane in 1768, one the site of Gresham College. Malt, spirits and soap are the articles producing the most money to the Exchange. The duty of excise was first introduced into this country by an ordinance of Parliament, of July 22nd 1643, when an impost was laid upon beer, ale, wine and other provisions, for carrying on a war against the King. The first Excise Office was at Smithfield. ... In 1680 the Office was in "Old Cockaine House,"* (*Aubrey's Lives, iii.380) and before its removal to Old Broad-street, in Sir John Frederick's house, now Frederick-place, Old Jewry. Since 1848 is has been in Somerset House, in what is called the Inland Revenue Office. The total produce of the Excise for one year, to April 5th 1849, has been estimated at thirteen millions.
Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850
[ ... back to main menu for this book]
Inland Revenue, Somerset HouseóHours 10 to 4. A great department, covering, like the Home Office, a vast amount of ground. The principal branches are the Receiver-Generalís; the Accountant and Comptroller-Generalís; the Chief Inspectorís (Excise Branch); the Chief Inspectorís (Stamps and Taxes); that for Legacy and Succession Duties; the Companiesí Register Office; the Stamp Allowance Office; the Department of the Comptroller of Stamps and Registrar of Joint Stock Companies; the Stamping Department; Surveyors of Taxes and Special Commissioner of Income Tax (west wing, Somerset House). NEAREST Railway Station,Temple; Omnibus Routes, Strand; Cab Rank,Catherine street.
Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879