VINTRY (WARD OF). One of the 26
wards of London.
"Vintry Ward, so called of Vintners and of The Vintry, a part of the bank of the river Thames, where the merchants of Bordeaux craned their wines out of lighters and other vessels, and there landed and made sale of them."-Stow, p. 89.
Boundaries-N., the street called St. Thomas Apostle's: S., The Thames: E., Dow gate: W., Queenhithe. Stow enumerates four churches and four Halls of Companies as situated in this ward :-St. Michael's, called Paternoster.Church-in-the-Royal; St. Thomas the Apostle, (destroyed in the Fire, and not rebuilt); St. Martin's-in-the-Vintry, (destroyed in the Fire, and not rebuilt); St. James's, Garlick-hithe ; Vintners' Hall Cutlers' Hall ; Glaziers' Hall ; Parish Clerks' Hall. [See all these names.] South wark Bridge abuts from the centre of this ward.
Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850