An east wing was added to Somerset House by Sir Robert Smirke in 1829 to accommodate King's College, which had been founded by Royal charter in the previous year. The College extends from the Strand to the Thames Embankment, and entrance is gained both from the Embankment, up the steps seen in our view, and, through a low archway, from the Strand. The centre of the chief floor is occupied by the chapel, and the building also embraces King's College School, and a museum where Babbage's calculating machine is treasured. The Rev. Henry Wace, D.D., is the Principal of the College, and the education imparted is on Church of England lines. The institution enjoys only a small endowment, but it has usually received a Government grant.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896