THE PRO-CATHEDRAL, KENSINGTON.
The Church of Our Lady of Victories in Newland Terrace, Kensington, is better known to the general public as the Pro-Cathedral. It is in the Early English style of Gothic, with an ornate interior; and in the somewhat shallow chancel is the throne of the Archbishop of Westminster. The stained glass windows in the apse are much admired. This church superseded St. Mary's, Moorfields, as the Pro-Cathedral, but Brompton Oratory, of which we have already given a view (p. 41), is generally preferred to it for great occasions. With the completion of the Cathedral of which the foundation stone has been laid near the Palace of Westminster, the Church of Our Lady of Victories will, of course, cease to have the status of a Pro-Cathedral.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896