THE ROYAL PALACE OF JUSTICE: THE GREAT HALL.
No part of the late Mr. G. E. Street's splendid Gothic building in the Strand is more noteworthy than the Great Hall, which is one of the most successful of modern efforts in medieval architecture. Our view of it is taken from the main entrance; on the left are the Chancery and Divorce Courts, etc., and on the right those of the Queen's Bench. Along the Hall, which is 238 feet long, 48 feet wide, and 80 feet high, the Judges walk in stately procession on great occasions. To the right of the entrance is Mr. Armstead's statue of the architect, who unhappily died before the completion of his masterpiece. It was in 1882 that the Queen opened the Palace, which extends from the Strand to Carey Street, and cost £750,000, while nearly a million and a half had to be paid for the site.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896