THE NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM, SOUTH KENSINGTON.
A high place among the fine public buildings in South Kensington must be given to the Natural History Museum, which faces Cromwell Road. Mr. Waterhouse R.A., was the architect, and the erection occupied the years 1873-80. The structure is Romanesque in style, and the terra-cotta façade is, with good reason, greatly admired. The Museum is 675 ft. in length, and the towers which rise from the wings are 192 ft. high. Hither were brought the Natural History collections of the British Museum, in order to relieve in some measure the congested condition of the national institution in Bloomsbury. Considering the popularity of such collections, it is not surprising that the annual number of visitors to the Natural History Museum should be over 400,000.