HAMPTON COURT PALACE: THE LION GATES.
Those who come to Hampton Court Palace by way of Bushy Park enter through the Lion Gates, which exactly face the end of the splendid avenue of chestnut trees, and are near the Palace Maze. It is sufficiently obvious that this approach gains its name from the carved lions on the piers. The gates were built by Queen Anne, and carved on the columns are her initials. The wrought-iron work is very fine, and is believed to have been done by a Frenchman named Tijou. In the upper panels the letter' G' which stands for King George, has replaced the 'A'. The presence of an inn and other buildings somewhat detracts from the dignity of this really noble entrance to Hampton Court.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896