HAMPTON COURT PALACE: FOUNTAIN COURT.
The cloisters that surround Fountain Court were built by Sir Christopher Wren for William III., on the site of Henry VIII's Cloyster Greene Court. The carvings of dowers and heads within the arches and of lions' skins round the circular windows are noteworthy; and on the south wall are some frescoes, painted for the same monarch by Laguerre, representing the labours of Hercules. At the same time was constructed the fountain which gives its name to the present Court. The piers of carved stone at the four corners of the grass-plot used to support large ornamental lamps. The King's Great Council Chamber, the Queen's Guard and Presence Chambers, and the monarch's private rooms are over the cloisters of this Court.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896