THE VICTORIA EMBANKMENT, FROM CHARING CROSS STATION.
The Thames Embankment, the work of Sir J. W. Bazalgette, is in three divisions the chief being the Victoria Embankment, shown above, reaching from Blackfriars to Westminster Bridge, commenced in 1864 and finished in 1870. The roadway and footways, 100 feet wide, are planted with trees, and make the finest boulevard in London. In its construction over thirty-seven acres of ground were reclaimed from the muddy foreshore. In the centre of our view appears Cleopatra's Needle; in the mid-distance is Waterloo Bridge ; and beyond will be seen the fine river-front of Somerset House. The cost of this Embankment was over a million and a half. The other divisions are the Albert Embankment, from the south end of Westminster Bridge to Vauxhall, and a third from Millbank to Battersea Bridge.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896