Victorian London - Publications - History - The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896 - Wesley's Chapel

Wesleyan Chapel - photograph

WESLEY'S CHAPEL.

The Chapel informally named after the founder of Methodism is in the City Road, which leads from Finsbury to the "Angel," and it faces the east entrance of Bunhill Fields, the famous cemetery where Bunyan, Defoe, Isaac Watts, William Blake, and other celebrities are buried. The foundation stone of the building was laid by John Wesley in 1777, with the words, according to repute, " Probably this will be seen no more by any human eye, but will remain there until the earth and the works thereof are burnt up"; and in this unpretentious place the great Evangelist frequently preached until he died in March, 1791. In March, 1891, to commemorate the centenary of his death, a statue of this remarkable man, shown in the act of preaching, was erected in the open space in front of the chapel.