Claybury Asylum, standing on a commanding site near Woodford in Essex, was built to accommodate eight hundred male and twelve hundred female pauper lunatics of the County of Middlesex, but it now contains considerably more. It was designed by Mr. G. T. Hine, opened in 1893, and is under the control of the London County Council. To the left of our picture is the men's wing, the water tower rising behind it. In the house with turrets, which hides the chapel, are the administrative offices, and beyond is the superintendent's house. All modern improvements are to be found at Claybury, which has workshops, a recreation hall seating a thousand persons an isolated hospital for infectious cases, and a separate building capable of accommodating some fifty private patients.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896