CHAPEL ROYAL, SAVOY.
In Savoy Street, a narrow thoroughfare off the Strand, just west of Waterloo Bridge, is one of the Chapels Royal, built in the years 1505-11 on the site of the long-vanished Savoy Palace. It consists of a nave without aisles or choir, and is a plain specimen of the Perpendicular. Her Majesty Queen Victoria bore the expense of its restoration after a disastrous fire in 1864, the chapel belonging to the Crown in connection with the Duchy of Lancaster. It was at the Savoy, during the the interregnum, that the Independents adopted a Confession of Faith, and that the abortive Conference for the revision of the Book of Common Prayer was held. Nor is the building without interesting personal associations. Gavin Douglas, Bishop of Dunkeld, was buried here in 1522, and so too, in 1667, was George Wither, the poet.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896