THE "GEORGE" INN, BOROUGH.
The Borough, extending roughly from London Bridge to Charing Cross on the Surrey side, is one of the oldest parts of London, and contains some interesting houses of great antiquity. In a courtyard, now used as a Great Northern Railway goods depot, which lies on the Borough High Street, near the point whence Southwark Street branches off, is the "George". Stowe mentions an inn of this name, and there is a reference to it in 1554 but towards the end of the seventeenth century it was destroyed by fire, and its place taken by the present structure, modelled on its predecessor. It is a quaint, old-fashioned place, with open wooden galleries leading to the chambers. Numismatists will be interested to know that from the George two tokens were issued in the seventeenth century.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896