IN VICTORIA PARK.
Victoria Park is an invaluable boon to the East End of London, and on Saturdays and Sundays is frequented by thousands of people. The greater portion is unplanted, but is in great request for games, and the London County Council has established open-air gymnasiums, and sand-pits for the little ones to play in. The western side is beautifully laid out, and altogether no less than £130,000 was spent upon the Park. The money obtained by the Crown by the sale of Stafford House, Piccadilly, was devoted to this purpose in 1842. Victoria Park possesses two fine sheets of ornamental water, one of them boasting an island which is adorned with a Chinese pagoda in two storeys, as shown in our view.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896