GRAY'S INN SQUARE.
Gray's Inn lies north of Holborn, and, as one of the four great Inns of Court, dates from the time of Edward III. The Lords Gray of Wilton were once the ground landlords hence the name. The Square of Gray's Inn, shown above, is reached from Holborn through South Square or Field Court, and from Gray's Inn Road (which runs from Holborn to King's Cross, along the back of the east side) either directly, or through Verulam Buildings Gate. In the corner will be seen the old chapel, which, however, was modernised in the last century; and adjoining it on the right is the fine, though small, Elizabethan Hall, which was built about the middle of the sixteenth century. The Inn generally, and this Square in particular, is largely used for residential purposes, by married people as well as by bachelors.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896