ST PAUL'S CATHEDRAL: THE CHOIR AND REREDOS.
St. Paul's Cathedral, after St. Peter's at Rome and Milan Cathedral the third largest Christian church in the world, was erected on the site of the old Gothic fane (destroyed in the Great Fire) by Sir Christopher Wren, on whose memorial tablet in the Cathedral are the noble words, "Lector, si monumentum requiris, circumspice". The Choir possesses a fine dignity. The stalls on either side are the work of Grinling Gibbons, Beyond is the striking Reredos, of Parian marble, unveiled in 1888. The sculptures by Guellemin illustrate incidents in the life of Christ, and above the pediment are figures of the Virgin and Child, the Risen Lord, and St. Peter and St. Paul. The vaulting and walls of the Choir are being decorated with mosaics after the designs of Mr. W. B. Richmond R. A.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896