THE GREEN PARK ARCH, WELLINGTON PLACE.
Between the Green Park and the private gardens belonging to Buckingham Palace is Constitution Hill, where Her Majesty's life has been thrice attempted; and at the end of Constitution Hill is the Green Park Arch, which has occupied its present position since 1883, when it was removed from its old site, about 200 feet off. It is nearly opposite Hyde Park Corner, whence our view is taken. The fine open space here is called Wellington Place, and its conspicuous ornament is an equestrian statue of the Iron Duke, executed in bronze by Boehm. The figures at the corners of the pedestal are those of representative British soldiers. The statue faces Apsley House, presented to the Duke of Wellington by the Government. Wyatts statue of the Duke, which once stood over the Arch, is now at Aldershot Camp.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896