KENSINGTON TOWN HALL AND PUBLIC LIBRARY.
With good reason the Vestry of St. Mary Abbots, Kensington, is very proud of the Town Hall in the High Street. It was opened in 1880, and cost, including the site, £54,551, the architect being Mr. Robert Walker. The building is used principally as the municipal offices of the parish, but the large and small halls are constantly being let for all sorts of purposes, an income of over £1,500 a year being obtained by this means. The Library building was originally used as the offices of the Vestry and of the Trustees of the Poor, but it was let in 1889 to the Library Commissioners and adapted to the requirements of the Library, which now numbers about 15,000 volumes. The steeple seen above the roof of the Town Hall is that of the parish church.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896