NEWGATE: THE CENTRAL COURTYARD.
In the Central Courtyard of Newgate Gaol, at which the public are here enabled to peep, the female prisoners are exercised, and upon it their cells look out. There are three exercise yards, separated from each other by high walls tipped with iron spikes. The windows of some of the male prisoners' cells may be seen to the left. The gate by which one of the warders is standing is part of the old gaol-the structure, as it stands at present, was rebuilt in 1858 - and through it pass the friends of the prisoners, who are allowed to converse with their visitors in what is called the visiting box. Admittance to this Courtyard is gained through the old doorway familiar to all who pass along the Old Bailey.