CONNAUGHT WATER, EPPING FOREST.
Epping Forest in Essex consisting of 5,500 acres, or rather less than half the space left unenclosed a century ago, was purchased bv the Corporation of London, and declared "open" by the Queen in 1882, as an inalienable possession to the public for all time. Connaught Water, so called after the Duke of Connaught, Ranger of the Forest, extends over seven acres, and contains two islands. Before its transformation into its present form by the Corporation it was a dismal swamp, known as the Forest Pool. Connaught Water lies in the heart of the prettiest part of Epping Forest, near the well-known Queen Elizabeth's Lodge, on the road to High Beach, and is a favourite resort of boating parties.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896