THE CITY OF LONDON SCHOOL.
Almost at the end of the Thames Embankment, near Blackfriars Bridge, is the City of London School, a handsome building completed in 1883, to supersede the old school. in Milk Street, Cheapside. The School was established by the Corporation of London in so recently as 1834, under Act of Parliament and it is endowed with property bequeathed in 1442 by John Carpenter, some time Town Clerk of London. Boys are admitted to it between the ages of seven and fifteen years. Among the distinguished "old boys" may be mentioned the late Sir J. R. Seeley, the Right Hon. H. H. Asquith, M.P., and the Rev. E A. Abbott, D.D., afterwards headmaster.