THE STRAND, LOOKING WEST.
No better idea of the Strand can be obtained than from the church of St. Mary-le-Strand, whence this view is taken. On the left is the entrance to Somerset House, used as Government offices, and erected by Sir William Chambers in 1776-86, in place of the old palace begun by the Protector Somerset. A little further west is Wellington Street, bisecting the Strand, and affording access to Waterloo Bridge. At the far end of the houses is seen the Nelson monument in Trafalgar Square. The Strand is the southern main artery from the City to the West End, and is always crowded with traffic, especially when the theatres which abound in the neighbourhood are being emptied of their patrons. The thoroughfare, which is here shown at its broadest, owes its name to the Get that the Thames formerly flowed close beside it.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896