COVENT GARDEN THEATRE.
Covent Garden Theatre, the headquarters of Italian Opera in this country, was built in 1858 by E. M. Barry, in Bow Street, on the site of two earlier theatres, both of which were destroyed by fire. It can accommodate 3,500 persons, and on the nights when the chief artists in the world are singing there are seldom any vacant seats to be seen. The lessee, Sir Augustus Harris, uses the theatre out of season for fancy dress balls, occasional public meetings, etc. The main entrance is beneath the handsome Corinthian colonnade. The glass house to the left is the Floral Hall, the wholesale foreign fruit market; and the stone building facing the theatre contains Bow Street police station and the chief Police Court in London. The road at right angles to Bow Street is Long Acre.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896