SMOKING-ROOM OF THE CARLTON CLUB.
The Smoking-room of the Carlton Club, on the first floor, is 65 feet by 36 feet, and was originally the Library, as the well-fitted bookshelves remain to avouch. If its walls could speak they would doubtless be able to tell many an interesting tale, for the Carlton is, of course, the headquarters of the Conservative party, and in this room, from time to time, party deliberations are conducted. The Carlton was established as long ago as 1832, and its membership is not allowed to exceed 1,800. No observant person passing along Pall Mall can fail to notice the handsome club-house at No. 94, with its polished granite pillars. The design is an imitation of the old library of Petrarchs foundation in the Piazza of St. Mark at Venice, which was built by the great Sansovino.