THE DURDANS, EPSOM.
The Durdans is close to the town of Epsom. The original house was built by the thirteenth Lord Berkeley, who here entertained Charless II. and others, including Evelyn and Pepys. The Earl of Guildford lived at the Durdans for a while, and another its occupiers was Frederick, Prince of Wales. The older house, however, was destroyed by fire in 1764. The Marquis of Lorne for a time resided in its successor, and it was afterward acquired by the Earl of Rosebery, who has blocked up the old front entrance, which faced the south, and has made a new one near the stables under the tower on the west, and in various ways has greatly improved the mansion. The stables at the Durdans, whence issued the winners of two successive Derbies during Lord Rosebery's Premiership, are among the finest in the country.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896