ST. JOSEPH'S RETREAT, FROM WATERLOW PARK, HIGHGATE.
St. Joseph's Retreat is the chief Eng1ish monastery of the Passionist Fathers, a Congregation founded by Paul of the Cross in 1737, their first house being set up on the Celian hill at Rome. The rules of the Order require that such houses should be built outside a town and a more convenient and commanding site than that at Highgate could not easily be found near London. The late Cardinal Manning opened St. josephs Retreat in 1876 and the handsome chapel was completed fifteen years later, namely, in 1891. Together, in general aspect, the buildings resemble what may be seen in many parts of Italy where the clergy has established themselves. Waterlow Park, from which our view is taken, was presented to the public by Sir Sydney Waterlow in 1891.