This view of Christ's Hospital is familiar enough to those who pass through Newgate Street. The building to the left is the Hall, built by John Shaw in the late Gothic style in 1825-9. Here the boys have their meals, including the time-honoured Lenten suppers, to which the public are admitted. The brick building over the cloisters is now used for dormitories, and the spire is that of Christ Church, Newgate Street, where the Spital (Hospital) sermons are preached. The School was founded in 1552 by Edward VI., and stands on the site of an old monastery of the Grey Friars. Christ's Hospital scholars are generally called Bluecoat boys, from the fact that they wear long blue coats, knee-breeches, and vivid yellow stockings. Camden, Richardson, Coleridge, Lamb, and Leigh Hunt were Bluecoat boys.