THE IMPERIAL INSTITUTE: THE ENTRANCE HALL.
On passing into the Imperial Institute at South Kensington by the magnificent main entrance, and ascending the staircase, one finds oneself in the lofty Hall, which is in complete accord with the rest of Mr. T. E. Colcutt's masterpiece. Its roof and side-galleries are supported by pillars of beautiful Numidian marble, whose red-brown tint agreeably contrasts with the greys and greens of the other marbles so lavishly employed. The main entrance is reserved for Fellows of the Institute and their friends; and the Hall is used for lectures, concerts and other entertainments The bust of the Queen, shown in our view, is a reminder of the fact that her Majesty in person both laid the stone of, and formally opened, this national memorial of her Jubilee.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896