BYRON'S ELM, HARROW.
The church of Harrow, known as St. Mary's, is on the very top of the hill, and a prominent object for miles in every direction. Most of the church is fourteenth century work, but a doorway and window on the west of the tower are remains of the first building by Lanfranc, in the reign of the Conqueror. In the churchyard, southwest of the church, is an altar tomb (enclosed by iron rails to protect it from the initial-cutting fraternity) on which Byron was fond of sitting during his school-days, and which is repeatedly mentioned by him both in letters and in his poems. Close to it is an noble elm, which is known locally as Byron's Elm. From this part of the churchyard is to be had one of the finest views in the neighbourhood of London.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896