Leadenhall, the chief market for poultry and game in London, is one of the sights of the metropolis, especially at Christmastide. On this spot, off Leadenhall Street, stood Sir Hugh Neville's house, which was converted into a market as far back as 1445. It was rebuilt in 1730, and again in 1879. As our view shows, the structure is spacious, light, and airy. In Charles II. s time Leadenhall Market was considered a marvel, and the Spanish ambassador is reported to have remarked to the king that more meat was sold therein than in all the kingdom of Spain. It was formerly also a leather market and its purlieus are now well-known to the "fancy" who deal in dogs. Leadenhall is one of the markets under the control of the City Corporation.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896