THE CONSTITUTIONAL CLUB.
As may be inferred from its name, the Constitutional Club is a political institution, founded in 1883 as a rendezvous for Conservatives, with its membership limited to 6,500. The tall, handsome club house, shown in the middle of our picture, is a red and yellow terra-cotta building in the style of the German Renaissance, and was designed by Col. R. W. Edis, of the Artists' Volunteer Corps. It lies on the north side of Northumberland Avenue, adjoining the Grand Hotel, and facing the Hotel Victoria and the premises of the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge. The narrow street to the right is Northumberland Street, leading to the Strand. Across Trafalgar Square, beyond the Nelson Column, are the Union Club and the Royal College of Physicians.