Victorian London - Publications - History - The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896 - Addington Palace

Addington Palace - photograph

ADDINGTON PALACE.

Addington Palace, which is about three miles from Croydon, has been the country seat of the Archbishops of Canterbury since 1808, when the manor was sold to Archbishop Sutton for use as a summer residence instead of the old Palace at Croydon The chapel, library, etc., were added in 1830 by Archbishop Howley, who spent a great deal of money on the house and grounds. The unpretentious Palace itself is a substantial stone building in the Palladian style, admirably situated on rising ground and the park, which extends over fire hundred acres, is one of the most delightful in all Surrey. In the graveyard of the village church at Addington Archbishop Tait, Dr. Benson's immediate predecessor, is buried, as well as earlier Primates of the Church of England,