THE ROYAL COLLEGE OF SCIENCE, SOUTH KENSINGTON.
The first building on the right-hand side of Exhibition Road, seen on quitting Cromwell Road, is the Royal College of Science, the handsome red-brick and yellow terra-cotta structure of which we give an illustration. It was built in 1872-73 from designs by Major-General Scott, and to Messrs. Godfrey Sykes and J. Gamble belongs the credit of the remarkably fine sgraffito decorations. The College is entered through an arch at the north corner (to the left in our view), and this is the way also to the National Art Training College and the South Kensington Museum. The Royal College of Science, which is included in the Science and Art Department, was established for the training of teachers and others in natural science and allied subjects, and Professor Huxley was Dean until his death.