ST. THOMAS'S HOSPITAL.
St. Thomas's is indubitably the finest hospital yet erected stretching along the Surrey side of the Thames from Westminster Bridge towards Lambeth Palace, and facing the Houses of Parliament. The Hospital was founded in 1228, but the present building, by Currie, reared at a cost of half a million, only dates from 1871, the old premises in Southwark having just before this been sold to the South Eastern Railway Company. In the Palladian style, it consists of eight red-brick, stone-faced pavilions, united by arcades; the whole structure being 1,700 feet long by 250 feet deep. St. Thomas's contains nearly six hundred beds, and in the course of the year some 5,000 in-patients and 80,000 out-patients are treated. The income of the Hospital is £40,000.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896