KNELLER HALL, TWICKENHAM.
Kneller Hall, near Hounslow, was known as Whitton House. from the district in which it lies, when Sir Godfrey Kneller had it for his summer residence, it has been asserted that the famous German artist, who was painter to the Court from Charles II.'s time to his death in 1723, was buried in the grounds of this house but the truth seems to be that his remains were interred in Twickenham Church. Kneller Hall has been entirely rebuilt since Sir Godfrey's day. For a time it was occupied as a Normal Training College, of which the present Bishop of London was Principal; but in 5856 it was bought by the War Office, and it has since been used as a school of military music.