THE COLLEGE OF ARMS.
Standing well back from the road, the red-brick College of Arms, or Heralds' College, is a noticeable building in Queen Victoria Street, City. It was rebuilt in 1683, in consequence of the Great Fire. The College is concerned in preserving the pedigrees and armorial bearings of old families, and in granting, for a fee, arms to new ones. It consists of three kings-at-arms, six heralds, and four pursuivants the Duke of Norfolk being hereditary Earl-Marshal. Camden was one of the heralds, who in the old days constituted a Court of Honour to resent reflections on the aristocracy and to degrade the unworthy. This corporation is a curious survival of the age of chivalry. In the College library are preserved interesting curiosities and valuable genealogical records.