ST. GEORGE'S STREET (RATCLIFF HIGHWAY).
The old name of Ratcliff Highway still clings to the unlovely St. George's Street, which lies to the north of the London Docks, and connects the Tower district with Shadwell. Once upon a time fair elm trees on both the sides of the Highway gave it a dignity which it has long lost. It became notorious early in the present century, owing to a series of murders anti to various acts of lawlessness committed by Jack ashore; but now the Street is chiefly remarkable for the shops of dealers in wild beasts, birds, etc. Its former name is derived from Ratcliff Manor, in Stepney. In a vault beneath the Swedish Church, in Prince's Square, which lies off St. George's Street, Emmanuel Swedenborg, the mystic, who died in 1772, is buried.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896