WESTMINSTER BRIDGE ROAD, WITH CHRIST CHURCH.
This broad thoroughfare leads from the south end of Westminster Bridge to St. George's Circus. At its junction with the Kennington Road stands the handsome Gothic edifice known as Christ Church. Opened on July 4th, 1876, the centenary of American Independence, it cost £60,000, and contains sittings for 2,500 persons. The greater part of the fine tower and spire, which is two hundred feet high, was built at the expense of Americans, who in this fashion expressed their gratitude for the sympathy with the Union manifested by Dr. Newman Hall and his congregation at the time of the War of Secession. The church is affiliated with the Congregational Union, but on Dr. Hall's retirement he was succeeded by the Rev. F B. Meyer, a Baptist minister.