IN "YE OLDE CHESHIRE CHEESE".
The "Cheshire Cheese" is a well-known inn in \Vine Office Court, on the north side of Fleet Street. According to tradition, Goldsmith and Dr. Johnson used to dine here (although Boswell makes no reference to the circumstance), and the corner to the right of our picture, beside the fireplace, is pointed out as the favourite seat of the lexicographer. This is quite possible, for Goldsmith lived in Wine Office Court, and it was there that Dr. Johnson first visited him, on the 31st of May, 1761. The Cheshire Cheese is chiefly frequented by regular customers, who find compensation for the hard benches and sawdust-covered floor in the old-world appearance of the place, and in the excellence of the special dishes for which the house has long been famous.