ADELPHI TERRACE, WITH GARRICK'S HOUSE.
Adelphi Terrace overlooks the Embankment Gardens between Waterloo and Charing Cross bridges. It was built in 1768 by the brothers Adam-hence the name-and at that time it was thought probable that the whole of this part of the river bank would be built upon in the same fashion. The house No. 5, as may be seen from our view, is marked by one of the medallions of the Society of Arts, recording the fact that David Garrick lived there. It was in the back room on the first floor that, in 1779, the great actor drew his last breath. The Institute of Naval Architects now has the house; while the next two houses on the left in our picture are occupied by the Savage Club. The building to the right is the Hotel Cecil, so often referred to in the Liberator proceedings.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896