UNION CHAPEL, ISLINGTON.
The church which has in Union Chapel, Islington, its local habitation was formed by a union of Evangelical Churchmen and Nonconformists hence its name. The present chapel, in the Gothic style, occupying the site of one built in 1806, dates from 1877, and is one of the finest Dissenting places of worship in the Metropolis. The pulpit is particularly handsome. Over the doorway on the right, leading to the vestries, is a piece of that Plymouth rock on which the Mayflower Pilgrims first stepped when they landed in America. The Rev. W. Hardy Harwood began his co-pastorate at Union Chapel its December, 1891, and succeeded to the sole charge in the following April, on the death of the Rev Henry Allon, D.D. one of the most respected of Congregational divines.