Burlington House, on the north side of Piccadilly, is one of the handsomest buildings in that fine thoroughfare. In that part of it which was completed in 1872, in the Italian Renaissance style, and is shown in our picture, various learned societies enjoy free quarters by grace of the Government-the Geological, Chemical, and Royal Societies in the further wing, and the Royal Astronomical Society, the Society of Antiquaries, the British Association, and the Linnaean Society in the western wing, to the left. In the centre is the archway leading to the courtyard, which is bounded on the north by the building of the Royal Academy of Arts, where every summer is held the annual exhibition of pictures. Immediately to the west is the Burlington Arcade famous for its shops.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896