THE ATHENAEUM CLUB.
No London club ranks higher than the Athenaeum, which was founded in 1824 and has a membership limited to 1,200. The entrance is in Waterloo Place, and the building, which was designed by Decimus Burton, and cost £35,000, abuts also on Pall Mall. Its exterior is chiefly remarkable for the frieze, and for the figure of Minerva, by Baily, over the handsome porch. Of the interior the Library is the chief glory. The membership is made tip of those distinguished in letters, art, and science, with judges and bishops, and politicians of Ministerial rank. The large house to the right of the York Column in Carlton House Terrace, is Prussia House, the residence of the German Ambassador.