CAMDEN HOUSE, CHISLEHURST.
Finely situated on the west side of Chislehurst Common is famous Camden House. It was built by William Camden, chief of British antiquaries, who died in it in 1623; but the place is better known as having been occupied by Napoleon III. after his downfall in 1870. The ox-Emperor died in 1873 in a room overlooking the right wing of the house, and six years later, after the Prince Imperial had also been buried from Camden House, the ex-Empress Eugénie removed to Farnborough. Early in the present century the master and mistress of the house were murdered hr a servant, and the crime was a nine days' wonder. Lord Chief Justice Pratt, of whom the present Marquis of Camden is a descendant, took his title from Camden House.