THE ROYAL MILITARY ACADEMY, WOOLWICH.
In the south-west part of Woolwich Common, to the left of the road leading to Shooter's Hill and Eltham, is the Royal Military Academy, established by George II. "for instructing persons belonging to the military portion of the ordnance in the several branches of mathematics, fortification, etc., proper to qualifying them for the service of artillery and the office of engineer." The Academy, as a matter of fact, was founded in 1719, but it hung fire until 1745, and in 1745 it was transferred from within the Arsenal to the present site. Sir J. Wyatt designed the building, which consists of a central quadrangle (the original has been destroyed by fire) with wings. Among the cadets educated here was the Prince Imperial, to whose memory his fellow-students have erected a bronze statue.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896