Victorian London - Publications - History - The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896 - Somerset House

Somerset House - photograph

SOMERSET HOUSE.

The principal fašade of Somerset House, overlooking the Victoria Embankment, is nearly 800 feet long, and rises from a terrace 50 feet high, almost hidden by the trees which line this magnificent thoroughfare. Built by Sir William Chambers during the years 1776 to 1786, Somerset House, which stretches from the Embankment right up to the Strand, derives its name from its occupation of the site chosen by the Protector Somerset for the palace which he began in 1549, but did not live to finish, and which was demolished in 1766. The present building is used for Government offices, with the exception of the right, or eastern, wing, the home of Kings College, of which a view is given on page 102.