MERCHANT TAYLORS' SCHOOL: THE GREAT HALL.
The large Hall of the Merchant Tavlors' School in Charterhouse Square, which includes an organ loft, is a handsome room within the main building, shown in a view on a later page. The headmaster is the Rev. William Baker, D.D., Prebendary of St. Paul's Cathedral. There are at present more than five hundred boys at the school, which is for day scholars only, who receive excellent tuition for moderate fees, with the opportunity of competing for numerous scholarships. It was founded in 1561, and was long carried on in Suffolk Lane, Upper Thames Street, being transferred to Charterhouse Square in 1875, a new home having been built for it on the site of the old Charterhouse School, removed to Godalming, in Surrey.
source: The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896