DRURY LANE THEATRE ROYAL
It is impossible within a few lines to give an idea of the interesting associations of Drury Lane Theatre, which extends from Catherine Street to Drury Lane, and is bounded on one side by Russell Street. We must content ourselves with saying that its stage has been trodden by Garrick, Kean (of whom there is a statue in the vestibule), the Kembles, Macready, Mrs. Siddons, and Madame Vestris-indeed, by nearly all the chief stars of the legitimate drama. The Theatre was founded in 1663, and has more than once suffered from fire. The present structure, of which we show the front, abutting on Catherine Street, was built, in 1811-12, by Wyatt. Its enormous size enables modern melodramas to be very elaborately staged; and Sir Augustus Harris, the lessee, is famous also for his Christmas pantomimes.